Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Her hand moved

I saw it move. Her palm was face down and I saw her try to move it, almost turned up and then dropped again. All in the space of a second. I had just finished massaging her feet and ankles and was stimulating the acupuncture needles in her ear. I was joking with her and Darlene about how my lowest grades in school were in massage... and her hand moved.

And I should have said something right then because she must have been trying to say something. I KNOW she was reacting. But Darlene was sharing a story and I got sidetracked. And I don't know how I can get sidetracked like that, but I did. And I forgot to get back to it. And I should have told Darlene. And I should have acknowledged it out loud so she knew that I saw her. Because I saw her! And I know it must have taken so much effort to move that way. And what torture it must be to try to communicate something and have it go unnoticed. But I noticed. I can't believe I didn't say so.

This morning when Darlene walked in, she grabbed her hand and brought it over to her heart. So she can. And she knows what's going on.

I don't think I can sleep until I get back there to tell her that I saw her move. I know it's just as much for me as for her, but I have to do everything I can.

No comments: