Monday, July 21, 2008

My Sign

At about 9:30 Friday night I threw up. I was feeling agitated. I couldn't sit still. I was just out of sorts. And I couldn't stop thinking about Debbie. I was watching the "So You Think You Can Dance" show I'd DVR'd the night before to try to unwind and just take my mind off things. And thats when the song came on.

Feeling Good. I know the Nina Simone version, but it was the newer one that was playing on the show. Didn't matter though - it's all in the words. It's the song I told Ross I wanted everyone to hear in the event that I died of anything painful or long-suffering to let them know that I was ok. It's one of my "things". I'm always thinking of ways that I can let people know not to be too sad if anything ever happens.

The song played at 10:04pm. I looked at the clock as soon as it started because I'd been waiting to hear it. I was looking for my own sign and that was it. And then I just waited.

I got the call the next day. She passed at 10:01.

Thank you, Debbie, for sharing a part of your life with me. It was a pleasure knowing you. You inspire me.


FEELING GOOD (Anthony newley, leslie bricusse)

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Reeds driftin on by you know how I feel

(refrain:)
Its a new dawn
Its a new day
Its a new life
For me
And Im feeling good

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
Blossom in the tree you know how I feel

(refrain)

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, dont you know
Butterflies all havin fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
Thats what I mean

And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine
And I know how I feel

No comments: